It was inevitable that video poker would become the rage that it is today among gamers. After all, slot machines have undoubtedly always been one of the most popular forms of gambling. Couple that with increasing interest in poker over the past few years, and you get the perfect combination of factors to stoke the flames of interest in video poker.
Video Poker Rules
In video poker, the player is normally allowed to bet anywhere between a quarter and $5 each hand, but the exact amount totally depends on the casino and the type of poker machine. Usually, the minimum bet is around $20. After inserting this minimum, the player can choose how much to wager.
Once this is done, the player then has to click on the button that’s generally named “Deal Draw.” This step provides him his cards. As a poker player, it is essential that you get the best poker hand possible. Remember that not all hands are capable of winning you cash, so obviously you want to obtain the ones that will convert to cash.
Listed here are some of the most common winning hands:
- Kings or Better: This specific hand is used in reference to two Aces or two Kings.
- Jacks or Better: This hand refers to two Queens or two Jacks. Any pair less than the Jack is not allowed.
- Two Pair: When two sets of pairs have an identical card value, the hand is referred to as Two Pair.
- Three of a Kind: If you hold three cards of equal value, it is known as three of a kind.
- Four of a Kind: When four cards of equal value are available, they are known as four of a kind.
- Flush: five non consecutive cards of the same suit are referred to as Flush.
- Straight: This hand would have five consecutive cards that go by card value, but are of different suits.
- Straight Flush: When all five consecutive cards are from the straight suit, they are known as a straight flush.
- Royal Flush: If all five consecutive cards are from the same suit, and the first card is ten and the last card is an Ace.
- Wild Royal Flush: A Wild Royal Flush is quite similar to the Royal Flush, but it contains a wild card also.
Online video poker99, also known as draw poker, allows you to bet from $0.25 to $5 per hand usually, but this depends on the type of the machine and casino you’re playing at. After putting in the money (which is a minimum of about $20 at most sites), the next step is to choose the denomination that you would like to wager.
After receiving your first cards, you need to try and improve the quality of the hand. To do this, you need to hold on certain cards and discard the others. Ideally, you need to hold onto the cards that in your opinion have the best chance of giving you a better hand when you draw again. After dropping the discarded cards, press the Deal/Draw option again and new cards will replace the old ones. When you’re finally done, it’s time to press the Cash Out button (sometimes labeled “Credit”).
Draw poker also gives you the option of doubling your money by continuing to play a second round, assuming that you won your hand. This second bonus round is referred to as “Double Playoff.” It’s completely up to the player to play this round or to walk away with his winnings. If the player does choose to play this round, the poker machine’s playing cards will turn over. A card is flipped for the player to see. The player can then make a bet on whether the next card is lower or higher than the first card. If the bet turns out to be right, he wins and doubles his money. And of course, if the bet is wrong, you end up losing your money. But if the card is of the same value, you neither win nor lose. It is important to note that once you see the cards, you cannot back out; you have to make a guess. Sometimes this might work in your favor (if the card value is extremely high or low), but obviously it will be not too effective if the card is of a mid-range value.